Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Remember the end of Edward Scissorhands?

Managed to take these before my camera's battery died. I haven't charged it since I've been here(which gives you an idea of how little I've used it, 'cause I'm a dork who is too shy to take pictures). These are for the Ice Festival. The one that looks like a tower with a long ramp on one side is used for sledding!



























I went to a wedding reception with Karalygash and Ziya a couple nights ago. It was really cool. There were lots of disco lights and everything had a pumping techno beat behind it, but there were traditional; dances and performers in traditional dress and the bride wore this amazing goen with a traditional tall feathered hat and a very long veil. She remains veiled at the reception until a special unveiling ceremony involving relatives giving gifts and recitation of poetry. Ziya was the belle of the ball, everyone was so taken with him.
We're leaving for the country in two days, and won't be back to Urumqi until mid-February, at which time I expect I will have lots of video and pictures and stories to share. I won't be updating from the road, however, so in a couple days this page will be dormant. Talk amongst yourselves, I'll give you a topic; Rhode Island is neither a road nor an island. Discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment