Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day:The Aftermath

I think our host has a hangover from last night's festivities.

The horses that scared me half to death in the middle of the night when I was on my way to the outhouse behind them. Seriously though, the stars were amazing.


And look who finally figured out the panorama function on her camera.


This one's a Where's Dr. Z? Cupcakes if you find him!


It is really beautiful out there.




I wanted to take a photo of these red sand hills form the front, because they were spectacular, but the extreme cold caused my battery to freeze.



Puppies! They make look cute...

But these are not friendly dogs. They're meant to guard livestock and they're vicious. Not pets.



This was my bed in Qiakaertu. It had a mattress!


There were two beds in my sitting room as well.



Our hosts in Qiakaertu took us out for dinner before we left, where there was more drinking of white liquor(on their part) and toasting. They also gave me a Valentine gift of white and milk chocolate, which was nice of them. They had spent our entire time there trying to keep us from doing anything because they apparently thought Dr. Z was there to evaluate them, something that needs clearing up by next year. It was frustrating for him, I think, to then listen to them giving toasts in which they call each other "friends" and hope we come back, etc. It's traditional toast-giving rhetoric.
They saw us off to our bus, which was a sleeper bus, and I wish I had a picture of it. It's a standard size charter bus, but with two aisles instead of one and three rows of bunk beds. Very skinny bunk beds. I wonder how Dr. Z didn't fall off his bed, he's very tall. I was fine, of course. And it was actually very comfortable. I went to sleep on the bus and woke up in Urumqi in the wee hours of the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment