Saturday, March 7, 2009

Done with interviews!

Finally! I have completed my 25 interviews for my own project. I eventually got used to people looking at me like I'm crazy and have three heads. I got some really good data, so I'm excited to get back and work on my project. I still have a ton of work for my independent study before I get back, unless I want to fail theory.
Dr. Z and I were talking about stereotypes the Chinese have about foreigners and apparently evidence that Westerners are less evolved than Chinese exists in the form of Western female body hair and our love of bananas. Clearly we're closer to apes than they. I do love bananas, so I reinforce the stereotype. I'm not convinced that being more evolved would make bananas less delicious. Bana vendors on the street will target me to sell bananas to, because I'm more likely to want them, due to my ape-like nature.
We're leaving for Beijing this evening. The train ride is suppose to be very picturesque, and of course the idea of taking a train across the north of China, drinking tea while gazing at the country vistas, is terribly romantic.
I went to Da Bazaar yesterday and bought a lot of fabric. They have unbelievably gorgeous silky prints for about $0.63/meter. Continuing the fairy tale theme that's been following me, I've made a deal with myself. If I finish packing and cleaning in a timely manner, I can go back and buy more. When I went yesterday it was during a very important prayer time, and the vendors selling the coveted Atlas fabric were at prayer. If I want more of this unique fabric that doesn't exist outside Central Asia, I have to go back today.
I'm getting very excited about coming home. I can't wait to see everyone.

1 comment:

  1. thank you for sharing
    your very different life ..
    feel like a fly on the wall..
    be back
    mona & the girls.....

    ReplyDelete